Sunday 15 December 2013

Back to Big Waters

At last I have managed to get my fingers on the keys to write a short blog.  Been extremely busy the last couple of weeks eating out, drinking, eating out, having fun, eating out, christmas shopping and preparing for a week in the Isle of Wight (leaving at 4am tomorrow morning).  I managed a few hours at Big Waters on Friday and Saturday morning where I managed a year tick of a Scaup, and a couple of birds I hadn't see for a few months, a  GBBGull, 3 Goosander and several other monthly ticks.  It was also nice to meet up with Alan and Ian again for a bit of a chit chat and a bit of advice on Scaup general bird identification (thanks Alan).  There were more than the usual number of Mute Swans on the pond which was causing a bit of furore as the resident birds spent so much time trying to get rid of the visitors.  The Otters were out quite frequently with up to 3 being seen as you can see in the following video.


I saw the Scaup on Saturday and on Sunday morning it was very close but it was still early and quite dark so I inched myself a bit closer and got onto one of the picnic tables and set myself up and waited till it started coming closer, then I took a couple of shots but it was still dark so I tested my video out and as I was looking at it through the video everything on the bottom half of the pond lifted and flew right up the top, glancing around an Otter appeared heading straight for the spot where the Scaup had been.  See video below.


Here are a few other pictures from the visits:

Juvenile Swans still testing out their flying skill but I haven't seen them leave the pond area yet

A few pictures when the place was lit up with sunlight with terrific dark clouds 
in the distance giving some great contrasts 



Now I wonder what put them up

Fantastic view as you leave makes you want to turn around and go back

Commonplace nowadays but still amazing to look at

3 Goosander were most rude and didn't stop but just headed straight for the coast 

Goldeneye and Scaup

Well time for a couple of hours nap then off to the Sunny South

No comments: